Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern (St. Michael)
LLANVIHANGEL-YSTERN-LLEWERN (St. Michael), a parish, partly in the hundred of Raglan, and partly in the division and hundred of Skenfreth, union and county of Monmouth, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Monmouth; containing 153 inhabitants. It is situated on the old road from Monmouth to Abergavenny, and comprises by estimation 1814 acres, of which 900 are arable, 650 meadow and pasture, and 264 woodland. The surface is agreeably diversified with hill and dale; the soil is a stiff clay, producing good wheat. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 4., and in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe contains about 80 acres, with a small parsonage, now a farmhouse. The church is an ancient structure. The Baptists have a place of worship. In 1735, the Rev. R. Thomas left a cottage, and 5 acres of land, for the instruction of poor children.