Llanvihangel-Crucorney (St. Michael)
LLANVIHANGEL-CRUCORNEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union and division of Abergavenny, partly in the hundred of Skenfreth, but chiefly in that of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Abergavenny; containing, with the hamlet of Penbiddle, 400 inhabitants. The parish is situated in a valley between the Holy mountain and a portion of the Black mountain, and comprises about 2603 acres, exclusive of gardens, roads, &c.: stone is quarried for roads and buildings. A tramway and the Hereford and Abergavenny road run through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 7., and in the patronage of the Queen; net income, £281; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the governors of Abergavenny school: the glebe contains 40 acres. The church, with the exception of the tower, chancel, and porch, was rebuilt in 1835. There is a place of worship for Baptists.