Llanvetherine (St. James the Elder)
LLANVETHERINE (St. James the Elder), a parish, in the union, division, and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Abergavenny; containing 212 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Trothy, and situated on the road from Ross to Abergavenny. It comprises 2143a. 3r. 13p., of which about 983 acres are arable, 1102 meadow and pasture, and 58 woodland and rough grazing-ground; the substratum contains stone, which is quarried for paving. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 17. 8½., and in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 51½ acres. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a square tower: in the interior are several tombstones sculptured in bas-relief to the Powell family, and on the outside is a tombstone with a rudely-executed effigy of the patron saint.