Llanvair-Kilgidin (St. Mary)
LLANVAIR-KILGIDIN (St. Mary), a parish, in the division of Pont-y-Pool, union and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Abergavenny; containing 276 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1790 acres, of which about 1100 are arable, 550 pasture and meadow, and 60 woodland. It is intersected by the new road from Abergavenny to Usk, and bounded on the north-west and south-east by the Usk river, over which, at the former point, is a bridge of stone, and at the latter a suspension-bridge. The soil in the lower parts is a sandy loam, and in the upper a red clay; the surface is a good deal undulated, and the views from the higher grounds are interesting. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 10½., and in the gift of Sir Charles Morgan, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £255, and there is a good parsonage-house, with a glebe of about 84 acres. The church consists of a nave and chancel, separated by a carved screen: in the churchyard are some fine yewtrees.