Llanvair-Discoed (St. Mary)
LLANVAIR-DISCOED (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and division of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 6½ miles (W. by S.) from Chepstow; containing, with the hamlet of Dinham, 186 inhabitants. The parish comprises by estimation 1590 acres of land, of which a considerable portion is lofty undulated ground, whence some fine views are obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the vicarage of Caerwent; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is an ancient structure, and near it are the remains of a castle, supposed to have been erected soon after the Conquest, and which was formerly the property of the family of Kemeys.