Llanthewy-Skirrid (St. David)
LLANTHEWY-SKIRRID (St. David), a parish, in the union, division, and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Abergavenny; containing 105 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Ross to Abergavenny, and contains an area of 1060a. 3r. 35p., whereof 465a. 1r. 23p. are arable, 520a. 3r. 22p. pasture and meadow, and 62a. 3r. 37p. woodland. A considerable portion of the Skirrid mountain, 1490 feet high, is in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 2½., and in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. M. H. Jones: the tithes have been commuted for £147, and the glebe comprises 109 acres, with a comfortable parsonagehouse. The church, picturesquely situated near Llanthewy Court, was built, with the exception of the tower, in 1828, from the proceeds of a rate.