Llandogo (St. Dochoe)
LLANDOGO (St. Dochoe), a parish, in the division of Trelleck, hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 9 miles (N.) from Chepstow; containing 660 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the right bank of the Wye, comprises by measurement 1773 acres, whereof 103 are arable, 540 meadow and pasture, 900 woodland, and 20 common; the surface is diversified with hills. The manufacture of paper gives employment to about 100 persons. In 1826, a handsome iron bridge of one arch was erected here over the river, thus connecting the counties of Monmouth and Gloucester; and the parish is intersected by the high road from Chepstow to Monmouth, which passes along the vale of the Wye. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £72; patron, the Prebendary of Caire in the Cathedral of Llandaff. The tithes have been commuted for £168; the incumbent has a glebe of 20 acres, and a comfortable parsonage-house. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north aisle. A church was erected at the hamlet of Whitebrook, in 1835, by subscription; it is a neat edifice in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Baptists.