Llandenny (St. John)
LLANDENNY (St. John), a parish, in the division and hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 4 miles (N. E.) from Usk; containing 375 inhabitants. The parish is on the right bank of the river Ebwy, and comprises about 2470 acres, of which 820 are arable, 1641 pasture and meadow, and 9 woodland; the surface is undulated, and from the higher grounds some fine views are obtained. When Fairfax, in the parliamentary war, attacked Raglan Castle, he made Cefyn Tillau, in this parish, his head-quarters. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 15. 5.; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Beaufort, whose tithes have been commuted for £330. The church is ancient. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.