Llanarth (St. Trillo)
LLANARTH (St. Trillo), a parish, in the union, and partly in the hundred, of Abergavenny, but chiefly in the hundred of Raglan, county of Monmouth, 3¼ miles (N. W.) from Raglan; containing 669 inhabitants, of whom 330 are in the hamlet of Clytha. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Usk, and intersected by the road from Monmouth to Abergavenny. It comprises by computation 3161a. 2r. 33p., of which 1446 acres are arable, 1640 meadow and pasture, and 74 woodland; the surface is undulated, and the views, especially from the Clytha hills, are very fine. Llanarth Court, the admired seat of John Jones, Esq., is a handsome and spacious mansion, the front ornamented with an elegant portico resembling that of the temple of Pæstum. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Bettws-Newydd annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter of Llandaff, who are the appropriators: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £211, and there is a glebe of about 62 acres, with a good parsonage-house, nearly rebuilt within the last few years by the vicar, the Rev. W. Price. The church, an ancient structure, consists of a nave and chancel, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted by pinnacles. A Roman Catholic chapel, richly decorated with ancient and modern stained glass, is attached to Llanarth Court. On the summit of Clytha Hill is an intrenchment, which retains marks of having been strongly fortified; and near Llanarth is a tumulus.