LIVERSEDGE, a township, in the parish of Birstal, union of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 9 miles (S. W.) from Leeds; containing 5988 inhabitants. This place was anciently the property of the Neville family, lords of the manor, of whose mansion, Liversedge Hall, there are still some slight remains. During the disturbances that prevailed in the manufacturing districts, in 1812, a mill at Rawfolds, in the township, was attacked by a party of Luddites, but was vigorously defended by its proprietor, Mr. William Cartwright; two of the assailants were killed in the conflict, and several severely wounded. None of the attempts of that misguided party, for the demolition of property at this place, were attended with success; and in testimony of the spirited conduct of Mr. Cartwright, the sum of £3000 was raised by general subscription, and presented to that gentleman. The township includes the hamlets of Millbridge, Littletown, Hightown, the Heights, and Robert-Town; it is situated on the acclivities of an extensive valley, watered by a stream flowing towards the south-east through Heckmondwike, and comprises by measurement 2044 acres. Heald's Hall, for many years the seat of the late Rev. Hammond Roberson, is a handsome mansion in the Grecian style, in an ample and tastefully embellished demesne. Millbridge is on the road from Leeds to Huddersfield, with Littletown to the north-west; and both, like other villages of the township, are inhabited by persons employed in the manufacture of blankets, carpets, woollencloths, and machine-cards. There are two coal-mines in Robert-Town, of which place the inhabitants are principally colliers. A church, dedicated to Christ, was erected in 1816, by the Rev. H. Roberson, at an expense of £7000, and endowed by him with 5 acres of land; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains 700 sittings, of which 100 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar. A neat parsonage-house, in the Elizabethan style, has been erected by subscription, as a testimony of respect to the founder and late incumbent. In the thriving village of Robert-Town, the first stone of a church was laid in April, 1844, and the edifice was consecrated in November, 1845; it was built partly by the Church Commissioners: the living is in the Vicar's gift. There are three places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.