Littleton, South (St. Mary and St. Nicholas)
LITTLETON, SOUTH (St. Mary and St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Evesham; containing 189 inhabitants. The parish lies near the borders of a detached portion of the county of Gloucester, and contains about 821 acres of land, principally growing wheat and beans. The small village is of neat appearance. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of North Littleton united, valued in the king's books at £4. 1. 10½.; net income, £258; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1811. The church is a small unpretending structure, with a chapel on the north side, and a neat embattled tower on the west; in the interior are many features of primitive simplicity.