Littleton (St. Mary Magdalene)
LITTLETON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Chertsey; containing 111 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1060 acres of arable and pasture land, much of which, from the supposed sterility of the soil (a light gravel), was not brought into cultivation till within a comparatively recent period; the surface is flat, and the lands bordering on the river Thames are subject to partial inundation. Part of the mansion here of the Wood family, was one of five manor-houses in the neighbourhood which belonged to Cardinal Wolsey. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14; net income, £320; patron, Thomas Wood, sen., Esq. There are 50 acres of glebe in the parish, an allotment of three acres in Laleham, and glebe lands in the parish of Shepperton; and the rector is entitled to the tithe of 25 acres in the parish of Laleham. A school is endowed with £355. 1. 2. South Sea annuities, purchased with various benefactions.