LITTLEDALE, a chapelry, in the parochial chapelry of Caton, parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Lancaster; containing 115 inhabitants. Littledale comprehends one-fourth of the township of Caton; it has a tolerably good bed of coal running through it, and the mountainous part of the district yields a considerable supply of slate. The principal mansion here, called the Craggs, was granted by the first lord Monteagle to Richard Baines, his standard-bearer, for heroic conduct in the battle of Flodden-Field; and on the estate is a field which the standard-bearer named Flodden, from its similarity to the field whence his fortunes and honors sprang. In 1752, the inhabitants of Littledale, owing to their distance from Caton chapel, built and endowed a chapel here, which is dedicated to St. Anne under Caton. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £48; patron, the Vicar of Lancaster.