LITHERLAND, a township, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool; containing, in 1846, 1932 inhabitants. Stephen, Earl of Boulogne, who afterwards succeeded to the crown of England, granted to Robert de Molines his land in "Liderlant," for 14s. per annum; and the Molyneux family have ever since retained possession of the lordship. The township is sometimes called Down Litherland, in contradistinction to Up Litherland, a hamlet in the parish of Aughton; it is bounded on the west by the bay of Liverpool, and is intersected by the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Here are two tanyards, and an asphalte factory. The tithes have been commuted for £219.See Seaforth and Waterloo.