Lissington (St. John the Baptist)
LISSINGTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Caistor, W. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (S.) from Market-Rasen; containing 186 inhabitants. The parish is on the Rasen and Wragby road, and comprises by measurement 1530 acres, including a portion of the common of Lissington Pasture, the rest of which is in the three adjoining parishes of Buslingthorpe, Friesthorpe, and Wickenby; the surface is level, and the soil chiefly clay. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 6.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The vicarage is endowed with the rectorial tithes, with the exception of a small sum payable to the Dean and Chapter; the whole of the tithes payable to the incumbent have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350, and the glebe comprises 58 acres. The church, a small edifice, has some portions in the Norman, and others in the early English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.