LIPWOOD, a township, in the chapelry of Haydon, parish of Warden, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (W.) from Hexham; containing 648 inhabitants. This place, which is an ancient member of the barony of Langley, occupies an elevated situation, and is bounded on the north by the Roman Prætentura. The surface is diversified, and the scenery of pleasing character. Grindon lake, a fine sheet of water in the township, is fed by the Knag burn (which rises to the north of the Roman wall), and in the winter greatly overflows its summer limits; it abounds with perch, and a boat is kept on it by the governors of Greenwich Hospital, to whom it belongs. Lipwood House is a handsome villa, erected about the year 1829, by the late Thomas Coates, Esq., whose family at that time held lands in the township.