Linwood (St. Cornelius)
LINWOOD (St. Cornelius), a parish, in the union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Market-Rasen; containing 226 inhabitants. This place was formerly the residence of the Lynwoods, of whom William, who died in 1446, was bishop of St. David's, and keeper of the privy seal under Henry VI. The parish is tolerably extensive, and includes a rabbit-warren of 250 acres, and a large wood; the farmhouse and cottages are of recent erection. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 4. 2., and in the patronage of the family of Gordon: the tithes have been commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises 95 acres. The church is a neat structure, profusely ornamented with stained glass: the church land consists of 6 acres, awarded at the inclosure.