Linton (St. Michael)
LINTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Grassington, Hebden, and Threshfield, 2060 inhabitants, of whom 303 are in the township of Linton, 9 miles (N.) from Skipton. This parish, which is situated in the beautiful valley of the river Wharfe, comprises about 11,110 acres, divided into several manors. A considerable portion is hilly moor, affording in some parts tolerable pasture. The population is chiefly employed in the lead-mines of Grassington, and in the manufacture of cotton and worsted goods. The living is a rectory in medieties, each valued in the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income of each, £185, exclusive of the glebes, which comprise 30 acres each. The church formerly contained two pulpits and two reading-desks: it was originally a Norman building, of which some parts remain, but it has undergone various repairs at different periods, especially in the reign of Henry VIII.; the west window is a good specimen of the decorated style. A free grammar school was founded in 1672, by the Rev. Matthew Hewitt, who endowed it with £20 per annum for the master, £10 for the usher, and £50 for four exhibitions to St. John's College, Cambridge. An hospital for six women was founded, and endowed with a house and 240 acres of land now producing £270 per annum, by Richard Fountain, Esq., in 1721; £16 per annum are paid to each of the inmates, and £20 to a chaplain; £12 are applied to the apprenticing of children, and £70 appropriated to relatives of the founder. There are some small bequests for distribution among the poor generally.