Linton, or Lynton (St. Mary)
LINTON, or Lynton (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 14 miles (E. by N.) from Ilfracombe; containing 1027 inhabitants. This parish, which is the most northern point of the Devonshire coast, comprises two manors, the lords of which, in the time of Edward I., had the power of inflicting capital punishment. The village is on an eminence westward of an opening towards the Bristol Channel, and is separated from the adjoining parish by the river Lyn, over which is a bridge of one arch. About a mile westward from Linton is the Valley of Rocks, the bed of which is about three-quarters of a mile in length, but not above 100 yards in width; the acclivities on each side exhibit huge masses of fixed and detached rock, and at the western extremity of the vale, which is terminated by a cove or inlet, is an isolated mass of considerable magnitude, in the form of a cone, partly intercepting the view of the Channel. Within a short distance to the east, by the sea-side, near the junction of the East and West Lyn rivers, is Linmouth, formerly a fishing-town of some consequence, but now possessing only about a dozen fishing-boats. Turbot, soles, cod, herrings, and oysters, are caught upon the coast, and shipped to Bristol and elsewhere: the river Lyn abounds in trout. Several sloops of from 50 to 100 tons are employed in the coasting-trade; limestone, coal, and culm are the principal articles of importation, and bark and grain the chief exports. There is a small pier, erected by the lord of the manor, at which the steamers from Bristol to Ilfracombe call in passing. Both at Linton and Linmouth are numerous lodging-houses for the accommodation of visiters; and in the neighbourhood are some elegant private residences: there is a plentiful supply of excellent water. The lord of the manor holds a court leet and baron at Linton soon after Easter, when a portreeve, tythingman, and ale-taster are appointed. The parish comprises by measurement 7160 acres, of which 3287 are arable and pasture, 310 woodland, and the remainder mountain and common. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Countisbury annexed; net income, £120; patron, the Archdeacon of Barnstaple. The tithes of Linton have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 102 acres: attached to the curacy is a glebe of three acres. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower, was enlarged in 1817 and 1833, and now contains 600 sittings. There is a place of worship for Independents.