LINMOUTH, a township, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Morpeth; containing 31 inhabitants. This township, which comprises about 300 acres, derives its name from its situation near the influx of the river Line into the ocean. In 1240, John, son of Robert Rue, held the place by military service; and in the 11th of Edward III. the Countess of Pembroke conveyed it to John de Denton, burgess of Newcastle; since which date, possessions have been held by various families, including those of Eure, Horsley, Watson, Atkinson, and Bradford. In 1822, a spermaceti whale 61 feet in length, and 37 feet in circumference, came on shore at the mouth of the river, and was harpooned; it produced 9 tuns and 158 gallons of oil, which were claimed by the admiralty as a droit of the crown.