Lineham (St. Michael)
LINEHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Cricklade and Wootton-Bassett, hundred of Kingsbridge, Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts, 4¼ miles (S. W.) from Wootton-Bassett; containing 1317 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Avon, on the road from Bristol and Bath to London; and comprises 4000 acres, of which one-half is arable, and the other pasture. There are some quarries of stone, for inferior building purposes, and for the roads. The Wilts and Berks canal passes within less than half a mile, and the Great Western railway in the immediate vicinity. Fairs, chiefly for cattle, are held at Click, at Michaelmas and Lady-day. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £58; patron and impropriator, G. W. Heneage, Esq.: the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Lady Huntingdon's Connexion; and a school endowed with 24 acres of land, producing £32 per annum. In the neighbourhood is a farmhouse which occupies the site of Bradenstoke Priory, founded about 1142, by Walter d'Eureux or de Saresbiria, for Augustine monks, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.