LINDALE, a chapelry, in the township of Upper Allithwaite, parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Milnthorpe. This place, the scenery of which is wild and rocky, lies on the road between Ulverston and Lancaster, with an arm of Morecambe bay running up to it. In the inlet is a beautiful island, about twelve acres in extent, on which is a handsome house, the property of John Thomson, Esq., who has embellished the island with a small but elegant Chinese temple. In Lindale is the residence of George Webster, Esq., whose grounds contain an extensive and curious collection of shrubs and evergreens, laid out with great taste; above the mansion is a tower, placed upon a lofty eminence. A neat house, called Blawith Cottage, belongs to Thomas Holme Maude, Esq.: it has a southern aspect, commanding an extensive view over the Lancaster sands. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £71; patron, the Earl of Burlington: there is a glebe of 26 acres of arable and pasture land, with a glebe-house. The church was rebuilt in 1828, and is a neat structure containing 115 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £125 in aid of the expense. There is a national school for boys.See the article on Allithwaite, Upper.