Limpsfield (St. Peter)
LIMPSFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Godstone, First division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Godstone; containing 1344 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern confines of the county, on the road from Croydon to Maidstone, and comprises 3819 acres. The soil in the northern part is sand and gravel, and in the southern part clay: there are some chalk-pits. In the parish are some very pleasant residences. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 5., and in the gift of W. L. Gower, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £694. The tower of the church stands near the middle of the south aisle, and is surmounted by a wooden spire. On Limpsfield common is a place of worship for Baptists.