Limington (St. Mary)
LIMINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Stone, W. division of Somerset, 1¼ mile (E. S. E.) from Ilchester; containing 342 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Yeo, and comprises by measurement 1560 acres. Several of the younger females are employed in glove-making. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 5½., and in the gift of Wadham College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and the glebe comprises seven acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains the effigy of Sir Richard Gyverney, founder of a chantry here, which has a stone roof richly groined; on a pew in the chancel is the cipher of Cardinal Wolsey, whose first preferment was the incumbency of the parish, presented to him by the Marquess of Dorset. There are some remains of a camp.