Limehouse (St. Anne)
LIMEHOUSE (St. Anne), a parish, in the union of Stepney, Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 2 miles (E. by S.) from London; containing, with part of Ratcliffe hamlet, 21,121 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the north bank of the Thames, was formerly a hamlet belonging to Stepney, from which parish it was separated in 1730. It consists principally of a number of narrow streets and irregular buildings, diverging from the principal thoroughfare. There are several respectable houses; and among the numerous shops, warehouses, and manufactories, are some spacious and well-built structures, though many of the buildings are of an inferior description. The streets are partly paved, and lighted with gas. Here are a manufactory for sailcloth and ropes; an extensive bleaching-ground; and large manufactories for articles in iron, particularly chain-cables, anchors, tanks, and all kinds of machinery. Ship-blocks are also made, and there are various other trades connected with shipping; ship-building is carried on at Limehouse Hole. At the eastern extremity of the parish are the West India Docks, which extend eastward to Blackwall. The northern dock, for unloading ships, covers thirty acres, and is capable of accommodating 300 West Indiamen; the southern, for loading outward bound vessels, covers twenty-four acres, and will admit 200 ships: the former was opened in 1802, and the latter in 1805. They have extensive ranges of building in which foreign goods are deposited previous to the payment of the duty. A canal from the river Lea, called the New Cut, intersects the parish and joins the Thames, superseding the circuitous navigation round the Isle of Dogs; the Regent's canal likewise passes through Limehouse, and just before its junction with the Thames, has a basin capable of admitting vessels of from 200 to 300 tons' burthen. On the south side of the Commercial-road is a tramroad, from the West India Docks to Whitechapel, constructed at an expense of nearly £20,000. The London and Blackwall railway also crosses the parish. The living is a rectory not in charge; net income, £714; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, which is one of the fifty churches erected pursuant to an act passed in the reign of Queen Anne, is a massive structure, with two angular turrets at the east end, and a square tower at the west end, built after a design by Nicholas Hawksmoor, one of the pupils of Sir Christopher Wren. At Ratcliffe is a second incumbency. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.