Lilleshall (St. Mary)
LILLESHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Newport; containing, with the townships of Donnington, Abbey St. John, and Muxton, 3851 inhabitants. About 1145, an abbey for Regular canons of the order of St. Augustine was founded here, which at the Dissolution had a revenue of £327. 10.: the ivy-covered ruins of the buildings present an interesting and imposing object. A branch of the Donnington-Wood, or Marquess of Stafford's, canal, terminates in the northern part of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 17. 11.; net income, £345; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland; incumbent, the Rev. George Livingstone Fenton. The church, with the exception of its handsome tower, which is of much older date, appears to have been built about the time of the Restoration: in the chancel is a beautiful marble monument in memory of Sir Richard and Lady Katherine Leveson. A second church has been erected at Donnington-Wood, at the expense of the Duke of Sutherland. There are two schools, one at Donnington, and the other at Lilleshall, the latter supported by his grace. Lady Katherine Leveson left several benefactions to the poor.