LILBURN, WEST, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Wooler; containing 226 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres, mostly arable, including 200 of woodland: the soil is rich, producing excellent and abundant crops; the scenery embraces the Cheviot hills on the west, and on the east those of Chillingham. The Lilburn river, which runs through the township, abounds in trout. Lilburn Tower, a fine stone mansion in the Elizabethan style, was built in 1834, near the site of a border tower, from a design of Mr. Dobson's, at a cost of £25,000. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £262. 11. 7., and the vicarial for £130. 7. At the west end of the village, near the remains of the ancient mansion, are those of a chapel of ease.