Lilbourn (All Saints)
LILBOURN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Rugby, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Rugby; containing 279 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Avon, in the eastern part of the county, and on the confines of the counties of Warwick and Leicester. It comprises 1667a. 3r. 28p., of which 1540 acres are pasture, 120 arable, and 7 wood; the soil is generally of a strong and rich quality. The London and Birmingham railway is distant about three miles. The village is on the line of the ancient Watling-steeet, and is supposed to have been the Tripontium of the Romans; vestiges of a castle may still be traced. The inhabitants are partly employed in the stocking manufacture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6, and has a net income of £127, arising from 65 acres of glebe allotted at the inclosure in commutation of tithes; it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the impropriation belongs to Miss Arnold and the Rev. Mr. Arnold. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a parochial school supported partly by the proceeds of land allotted at the inclosure. At Roundhill, about half a mile from the village, bones and skulls have been found; and the parish contains some tumuli.