Liddiard-Tregooze (All Saints,)
LIDDIARD-TREGOOZE (All Saints,) a parish, in the union of Cricklade and Wootton-Bassett, hundred of Kingsbridge, Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Swindon; containing 960 inhabitants. This place has from the time of the Conquest been the property of the family of St. John, whose mansion and park are near the church. The parish is on the road from Oxford to Bath, and comprises by admeasurement 5400 acres, of which 300 are arable, 350 woodland, and the remainder pasture. The Wilts and Berks canal and the Great Western railway pass through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 5. 5., and in the gift of Mrs. Collins: the tithes have been commuted for £603. 18. 5., and the glebe comprises 90 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, partly rebuilt in 1653, by the St. John family, to whom it contains several splendid monuments.