Leysdown (St. Clement)
LEYSDOWN (St. Clement), a parish, in the union, and liberty of the Isle, of Sheppy, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 9 miles (E. by S.) from Queenborough; containing 310 inhabitants. It comprises 2182a. 2r. 31p., of which 816 acres are arable, 1357 pasture, and 9 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 10., and united to the perpetual curacy of Harty; appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The great tithes have been commuted for £394, and the vicarial for £265; the appropriate glebe contains 15 acres, and the vicarial 5. The church is a neat modern edifice, erected near the site of a more ancient and spacious one, the ruins of which are still visible.