Leybourne (St. Peter and St. Paul)
LEYBOURNE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Maidstone; containing 255 inhabitants. It comprises 1510 acres, of which 508 are in wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir Joseph Henry Hawley, Bart., of Leybourne Grange: the tithes have been commuted for £275, and there are 180 acres of glebe. The Rev. James Holmes, in 1775, conveyed to trustees a schoolroom and a dwelling-house in the parish, with the interest of £1000 four per cent. consols., for the education of children. Here are considerable remains of a castle, consisting of a gateway flanked by circular towers, various arches, walls, &c., and traces of the moat by which it was surrounded; part of the ruin has long been converted into a dwelling-house.