Lexden (St. Lawrence)
LEXDEN (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union and liberties of Colchester, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (W.) from Colchester; containing 1454 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Maldon to Colchester, and comprises 2312a. 10p., of which 1767 acres are arable, 443 pasture, and 37 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of the family of Papillon: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £660, and the glebe comprises 29 acres of land. The church was rebuilt in 1820. A national school, erected in 1817, is supported by a bequest of £20 per annum from the late Mrs. Rawstorn, and by subscriptions. Roman antiquities of various kinds are frequently discovered; and before the inclosure of the heath, in 1820, evident traces of an encampment, supposed to be Danish, might be seen. The great rampart from the marshes to the river Stour passed obliquely through the parish, and considerable remains of it are still visible.