Lew, North (St. Thomas à Becket)
LEW, NORTH (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Hatherleigh; containing 1051 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5306 acres, of which about 2000 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at Â£27. 8. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, Â£342. At Redcliffe or Rutleigh, within the parish, are the remains of an ancient chapel; and near it a quarry of excellent freestone.