LEVISHAM, a parish, in the union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding of York, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Pickering; containing 168 inhabitants. The surface is a remarkably hilly moorland. The soil is of much variety, some of it very good; it is for the most part red and sandy, with a little clay in the romantic valley of Newton-Dale, situated to the north-west. The substratum is limestone, of which, and of freestone, some of excellent quality is worked for building and for lime. The Whitby and Pickering railway runs for three miles through the parish, and at a distance of about three-quarters of a mile from the village. There is a flour-mill. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 8. 1½.; net income, £120; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. Robert Skelton, who is also lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. The church, a neat edifice in a secluded part of the parish, was built in 1802. St. John's well, here, is a sulphureous spring of petrifying power, reputed to be good in scorbutic complaints.