Leverton, South (All Saints)
LEVERTON, SOUTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (E.) from East Retford; containing, with the chapelry of Cottam, 451 inhabitants, of whom 362 are in the township of South Leverton. This parish, which is situated on the river Trent, comprises by computation 2500 acres. The soil is chiefly clay, and towards the river a loam alternated with sand; the surface on the western side rises gradually to a considerable eminence, commanding some fine views over Lincolnshire. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £134; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; impropriator, G. V. Vernon, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1795, when 57 acres were allotted to the vicar, in addition to an old glebe of 10 acres. The church is an ancient structure. At Cottam is a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A grammar school was founded in 1691, by John Simpson, and endowed with a rent-charge of £20 per annum.