Leverton, North (St. Martin)
LEVERTON, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (E. by N.) from East Retford; containing 344 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Trent, which here separates the counties of Nottingham and Lincoln; and comprises 1513a. 1r. 12p., whereof 881 acres are arable, 600 meadow and pasture, and 32 wood. Its surface is level, and the soil chiefly clay, with some rich meadow land on the margin of the river. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £200. The tithes were commuted for land in 1795; the glebe comprises 80 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.