Leven (St. Faith)
LEVEN (St. Faith), a parish, in the union of Beverley, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the township of Hempholme, 999 inhabitants, of whom 890 are in the township of Leven, 7 miles (N. E.) from Beverley. This place is of considerable antiquity, a church being mentioned as existing here at the time of the Norman survey, when the manor was in the possession of the church of St. John de Beverley, which retained it till the Dissolution. The parish is situated on the road from Hull to Bridlington, and comprises 5525 acres, of which about 4500 are arable, 20 wood, and the remainder pasture; the land has been improved by draining, and is in profitable cultivation. The village, which is large and well built, consists of two streets crossing at right angles, with several detached houses. A canal to the river Hull, three miles and a half in length, and navigable for vessels of sixty tons' burthen, was opened in 1802, and has a considerable traffic in corn, lime, coal, &c. Petty-sessions are held every Thursday. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4.; net income, £1190; patron, the Rev. G. Wray: at the inclosure in 1791, a yearly modus and 136 acres of land were given in lieu of part of the tithes. The present church, in the centre of the village, was erected in 1844. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.