LEVAN, ST., a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 9 miles (S. W.) from Penzance; containing 531 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2100 acres, of which 700 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, united, with that of Sennen, to the rectory of St. Burian: the tithes have been commuted for £250. The church is situated in a secluded dell opening at the lower extremity to the sea; the interior of the building contains specimens of curious carved work, and there are some ancient crosses in the churchyard. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Overhanging the sea, at the western extremity of the parish, are the celebrated rocks, or lofty piles of granite, called Castle Treryn, on the summit of one of which the remarkable block termed the Logan, or Rocking Stone, supposed to weigh about 90 tons, is so nicely balanced as to be moved to and fro by a single individual. In 1820, though considered almost the greatest curiosity in Cornwall, some sailors dislodged the mass; but this mischievous act exciting a general feeling of indignation, steps were shortly afterwards taken to replace it in its old position, secured by chains. About a mile and a half to the east of Castle Treryn is Cape Tolpedn-Penwith, separated from the main land by an old stone wall; and in it is the Funnel Rock, excavated nearly perpendicularly, and resembling an inverted cone. There is a well, called St. Levan's; and an ancient oratory remains in the parish.