LETWELL, a chapelry, in the parish of Laughtonen-le-Morthen, union of Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of Upper Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tickhill; containing 129 inhabitants. This chapelry comprises 1100 acres; the surface is pleasingly diversified, and embellished with timber of luxuriant growth, of which some groups in the hamlet of Langold are noticed by Repton as the most beautiful in the country. The family seat of the Knights, here, an ancient house, was taken down by the late Mr. Gally Knight when he removed his residence, a few years since, to the mansion at Firbeck; but the offices, with the gardens and pleasure-grounds, in the latter of which is an extensive lake, are still remaining. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, and originally a small structure, erected in the early part of the 16th century, was greatly improved and embellished at the expense of Mr. Knight. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Firbeck: the tithes have been commuted for £220.