Letcomb-Regis (St. Andrew)
LETCOMB-REGIS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wantage, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Wantage: containing, with the chapelries of East and West Challow, 1030 inhabitants, of whom 446 are in the township of Letcomb-Regis. The parish comprises about 4350 acres, of which 2389a. 2r. 34p. are in the township; the land is chiefly arable. A branch of the river Ock, and the Wilts and Berks canal, pass through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 7.; net income, £200; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is an ancient structure. There are chapels at East and West Challow. On the summit of the chalk hills to the south of the village, is a very large quadrangular intrenchment, called Letcomb Castle, with singular earth-works; about a mile north of it, the Roman Ikeneld-street crosses the Vale of White Horse.