LEPPINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Scrayingham, union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Malton; containing 110 inhabitants. The Carey family formerly possessed a castellated mansion here, and a member of it was created Baron Carey, of Leppington, in 1622, but the title became extinct about the period of the Restoration. The township comprises by computation 1210 acres, the property and manor of Earl de Grey. Gypsum is obtained near the Derwent; and about eighteen inches below the surface, is a stratum of petrified shells and other marine productions four inches in thickness. In the village is a chapel of ease to the church of Scrayingham; the Wesleyans, also, have a place of worship. Foundations of the old mansion still remain; and many Roman coins have been found in the neighbourhood.