Lenton (Holy Trinity)
LENTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Radford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Nottingham; containing 4467 inhabitants. This place was granted by the Conqueror to his son William Peveril, who, in the reign of Henry I., founded a Cluniac priory here in honour of the Holy Trinity, which, being subordinate to the abbey of Cluny, was, on the suppression of alien priories, made denizen. The priory continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £417. 19. 3., and in the 5th of Elizabeth the site and remains were granted to John Harrington: there are scarcely any vestiges; but several stone coffins, a curious Norman font, now put up in the church, a crucifix, and some other relics have been dug out of the ruins. The parish takes its name from the small river Leen. It is beautifully situated in the vale of that river, near its confluence with the Trent, and comprises 5970 acres, of which 3409 are in Beskwood Park, the property of the Duke of St. Alban's, a detached portion of the parish five miles distant from the village of Lenton, and 261 at Hyson-Green, nearly two miles distant. The two last portions are chiefly arable; while the lands in Lenton are principally rich meadows, with some corn land, and several acres of garden-ground. The substratum contains coal of good quality, of which a seam five feet in thickness is now being worked by Lord Middleton. Lenton Hall, a handsome mansion, is the residence of Francis Wright, Esq.
The village of New Lenton is spacious and well built, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of lace; there are also a large bleaching establishment, a starch manufactory, a leather factory, two steam flour-mills, two others driven by water, and two extensive malting establishments. The Nottingham and Cromford canal is here joined by a cut called the Trent navigation, on which are some small wharfs; and the Midland railway runs for nearly a mile and a half through the parish. Fairs for cattle are held on the Wednesday in Whitsun-week, and November 11th. The Peverel court, which was granted by charter of William the Conqueror, and confirmed by charters of Charles II. and Queen Anne, is held here every Tuesday, for the recovery of debts not exceeding £50, under a steward, deputy steward, judge, prothonotary, and capital bailiff; and attached to it is a prison for debtors. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 5½.; net income, £230, chiefly from land assigned in lieu of tithes in 1767 and 1796; patron and impropriator, the Crown. The late church, a very ancient structure originally belonging to an hospital dedicated to St. Anthony, was pulled down with the exception of the chancel, reserved for the burial-service, and a new church was consecrated in October, 1842; the cost of its erection, £6000, being principally contributed by Francis Wright, Esq., and his family: it is a noble structure in the later English style, and has 900 sittings. A parsonage-house, in a corresponding style, has been built at a cost of £1500, of which £1000 were given by Mr. Wright, and £500 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. At Hyson-Green is a second church, dedicated to St. Paul, and consecrated April 18th, 1844; it cost £1911, and is a neat building in the early English style, with a small tower: the living is in the gift of the Crown, and has a net income of £150. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A commodious national school has been built at a cost of £2000, almost exclusively by Mr. Wright; and an infant school is supported by the Misses Wright.