Lenham (St. Mary)
LENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 10 miles (E. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 2214 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Folkestone, and comprises 6948a. 2r. 1p., of which 3497 acres are arable, 1825 pasture, 800 woodland, 160 in hop plantations, and 46 garden-ground. There are quarries of Kentish ragstone, which is burnt as a substitute for lime, and is also used for building, and repairing the roads. Fairs for horses and cattle are held on the 6th of June and 23rd of October. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 15. 2½.; patron, T. F. Best, Esq.; impropriator, G. Douglas, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £1205, and the vicarial for £670; the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church is a handsome structure, with a tower, and contains sixteen ancient stalls, a stone confessional, and other relics of antiquity. There is a place of worship for Independents. John Foord, in 1766, founded a school, and endowed it with £300, now applied in aid of a national school. In 1622, Anthony Honywood erected and endowed six almshouses for widows.