Lench, Rouse (St. Peter)
LENCH, ROUSE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Evesham; containing, with the hamlet of Radford, 280 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Warwickshire, and comprises 1431a. 2r. 6p., of which 100½ acres are wood. The surface is varied: the soil in the higher grounds is a rich loam, and in the lower grounds marl; the substratum is clay, which is used for brick-making. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 0. 5.; net income, £346: patrons, the family of Boughton. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778; the glebe altogether comprises 299 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the Norman style, of which it displays some interesting details; it contains monuments to the Rouse family. In the parish is a quadrilateral moat, for the most part dry.