Leiston (St. Margaret)
LEISTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Saxmundham; containing, with the hamlet of Sizewell, 1177 inhabitants. This place was the seat of a monastery of Præmonstratensian canons, founded in 1182, and endowed by Ranulph de Glanville, in honour of the Virgin Mary; the establishment continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £181. 17. 1½.: there are considerable remains. The parish is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises 4893 acres; the surface is varied. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the alternate patronage of Christ's Hospital and the Haberdashers' Company, London; net income, £376. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £435, and the glebe comprises 30 acres.