Leire (St. Peter)
LEIRE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Lutterworth; containing 406 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1074a. 2r. 18p.: the soil is loamy; about two-thirds are pasture and the remainder arable, and the lands are watered by a small rivulet called the Soar. The Midland railway passes through the parish, in which an excavation was made, extending for a considerable length, and 62 feet in depth, and also an embankment 40 feet in height, and containing 430,000 cubic yards; 3700 men, 370 horses, two locomotive-engines, and one fixed engine, were all employed in the construction at the same time. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 14. 9½.; net income, £292; patron, Earl de Grey. The tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments in 1779; the glebe altogether comprises 143 acres. The church is ancient.