Leintwardine (St. Peter and St. Paul)
LEINTWARDINE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the unions of Ludlow and Knighton, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford; including the townships of Brakes, Heath with Jay, Kington, Leintwardine, Marlow, Walford with Letton and Newton, Whitton with Trippleton, and Adforton with Stanway, Payton, and Grange; and containing 1568 inhabitants, of whom 454 are in the township of Leintwardine, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Ludlow. The parish is situated at the northern extremity of the county, where it borders on Shropshire, and near the confluence of the Teme and the Clun; and from the quantity of fine fish, particularly graylings, with which these rivers abound, it is much resorted to as a fishing-place. It comprises about 8000 acres, and is intersected by the road from Knighton to Ludlow. There are quarries of limestone. A fair is held on the 4th of April. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 8.; net income, £180; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Oxford. The church is a large structure, once famous for a profusion of stained glass, of which the windows still display some beautiful fragments, representing crowns, lions, fleurs-de-lis, the arms of Mortimer, &c. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. The Right Hon. Robert Harley, afterwards Earl of Oxford and Mortimer, founded a free school in the reign of Anne, and endowed it with land now producing about £50 per annum; and Salwey Cockram, Esq., in 1774 bequeathed £100 for the instruction of 12 children of Adforton and the Grange, and a like sum to purchase bread for the poor. The ancient forest of Mocktree, which has long been disafforested, is in the parish, and forms part of the demesne of Downton Castle.