Leighton (St. Mary)
LEIGHTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 448 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3000 acres, of which about one-half is arable, and the remainder, with the exception of 30 acres of woodland, meadow and pasture; the soil is chiefly a stiff clay. A cattle-fair is held on the 1st of May. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Leighton, in the Cathedral of Lincoln, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £90: the glebe comprises 70 acres. The church, which had fallen into a state of dilapidation, was rebuilt in 1626, by the then prebendary, and is a neat edifice containing 300 sittings. Some remains exist of an ancient mansion that belonged to the Clifton family. There is a chalybeate spring, formerly in high repute, but now not much noticed.