LEIGHTON, a township, in the parish, union, and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Nantwich; containing 237 inhabitants. The manor belonged anciently to a family that took their name from the township, and by whom it was conveyed, by a deed without date, to the Oulton family. The Erdswicks acquired the estate in 1328, by exchange with the Oultons; and in 1625, Richard Erdswick appears to have sold it to the Eytons. Henry Stych was lord of the manor in 1662, and it subsequently came by inheritance from the Werdens to the family of Drummond. The township lies on the road from Nantwich to Middlewich, and comprises 1195 acres, the soil of which is clay and moss; the surface is level. Here is a station on the Liverpool and Birmingham railway. A church dedicated to St. Peter was erected in 1838, and a district assigned to it which includes this township, and the township of Minshull-Vernon, in the parish of Middlewich; with a population of 640. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester; income, £100. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have places of worship, and there is a national school.