Legbourn (All Saints)
LEGBOURN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Louth; containing 461 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3500 acres, of which about 100 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in equal portions: the surface is level; the soil chiefly clay, producing good wheat and beans; and the scenery of pleasing character. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Powley family; net income, £84; impropriator, H. R. Allenby, Esq., of Kenwick House: the tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments in 1780, when 167 acres were assigned in lieu of the small tithes. The church is an ancient and handsome structure in the early English style, consisting of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A priory of Cistercian nuns, in honour of the Virgin Mary, was founded here before the reign of John, by Robert Fitz-Gilbert: at the Dissolution its revenue was £57. 13. 5., and the site, now occupied by a mansion, was granted to Sir Thomas Heneage.